Everyone wants a flat tummy! There are so many surgical and nonsurgical options for people today that it can be confusing to research the most effective options out there. You’ve seen articles and ads raving about garments, lasers, freezing fat, liposculpture, mini tummy tucks – the list goes on and on. But patients need to be able to separate the hype from the facts when it comes to getting the best possible result from a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) procedure.
As a plastic surgery insider, I will share the surgical secrets behind the best tummy tuck. With these tummy tuck tips, you will be able to discern what is false advertising and what is real. So, without further delay, let’s get started!
5 Essential Steps to a Successful Tummy Tuck
- SKIN – In a true tummy tuck, your plastic surgeon will remove the maximum amount of skin from the abdomen. That means that all the skin you can pinch with your fingers below your belly button can be removed in a safe and effective manner. You’re not left with unsightly, excess skin tissue that compromises your overall appearance.
- FAT – In order to get the best results, experienced plastic surgeons perform body contouring during the tummy tuck. Liposuction is generally performed to remove extra fat from the upper abdomen and flanks. The result? You get the flattest tummy possible for your body.
- MUSCLE – Along with removal of skin and fat, a board certified plastic surgeon will repair the abdominal muscles. What that means is that your six-pack muscles (rectus abdominus) need to be brought together to tighten your abdomen, making it truly flat and naturally contoured.
- SCAR – Although an incision has to be made to remove the extra skin and fat, it must be placed in a very low position on your abdomen. That means you should not be able to notice the hidden scar when you are wearing your underwear or your 2-piece bikini. Scars will be unavoidable, but they should not take away from your new, slimmer appearance.
- DRAINS – And lastly but not least, the use of drains. Drains are typically used by experienced plastic surgeons to prevent abnormal fluid collection after the procedure. Although it may seem better not to have tubes placed after surgery, they actually help prevent unwanted complications. You don’t want your transformation experience to be marred by problems that should have been avoided.
So there you go! The most experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeons will perform all these 5 steps so that you can achieve the best possible results after a tummy tuck. Use this as a “checklist” and you’ll be better informed as you navigate through the seemingly endless array of new procedure names and gimmicks. If you’ve consulted with anyone who disregards any one of these important considerations, you should probably look for a different plastic surgeon. It may be inconvenient to do so, but it will be worth it if you increase your chances of a safer and more beautiful outcome.
Good luck on your research and I hope that these Insider Tips on Tummy Tucks help you in making the correct decision for you.
Azul Jaffer MD
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Medical Director of Plastic Surgery at Azul Plastic Surgery
4 thoughts on “Insider’s Guide: Tummy Tuck Tips”
What is tha cost of the procedure
All pricing is determined after a consultation. This gives us a chance to meet, understand your goals, and work out a plan for getting the results you want. Call (281) 980-8111 or request an appointment online to get started!
My wife is looking to get this done. It would be good to go with a professional surgeon as they would know about all of the tips that you listed here. I’d expect them to have the scar placed as low as possible so that you wouldn’t be able to see it.
Absolutely. And every body requires a personalized approach, based on the treatment plan and desired outcome. Good luck to your wife, and feel free to reach out if you’d like more information.